Saturday, October 19, 2013

Blooming marvellous mornings

Mornings in the garden continue to amaze and delight with their passionate flowering and beauty of emergent shape, line and colour.
I bought a Lilikoi plant (Passiflora edulis) at a Farmerʻs Market: all that expanse of freshly painted front picket fence was asking to be useful.

 No sooner had the roots got into the earth in the little pocket I created, than we had to have that talk, my Little Lilikoi and I, about oh, you know: the birds and the bees.
A flower burst forth. Way too early for these kinds of things, Little Lilikoi! You are too young yet for all this fruit and seed making stuff.

The mysterious beauty of the flower was a delight in its own right. When it does fruit, I believe this is going to produce the dark purple fruit. I look forward to the added dimension of colour in the front garden palette.
At another Farmerʻs Market I bought an orchid for the container which I had fashioned out of a piece of palm frond from the garden. I am not sure how long this container will last but it works for now. Being greeted by purple orchid blooms at the front door is just how I imagined living in Paradise would pan out.
  
And of course those bananas and little Hawaiian hot peppers bloom and swell. Real local feeding, with a little spicy heat, in my future.
Note: Just for a little balance: the price I pay for all this beauty is little red fire ants, mosquitoes, Albezia trees, feral cats using my newly minted garden as litter box, smothering by invasive exotics of all ranges of fauna and flora persuasion. And road construction. Even in Paradise. The single route from where I am to anywhere else is being widened. This means a lot of delays. Sometimes it can take a couple of hours to go two miles. Life on an island.

No comments: