Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hammer horror

Sometimes, in the twilight damp around about dawn and dusk, there are nightmare creatures in the garden.

I have to fight my negative response on first meeting with this frightful being. Critters are good and healthy in a garden, I tell myself.

Well, it turns out that my visceral response was probably accurate. This species of flatworm preys on earthworms amongst other things.

I am trying to build soil on lava rock with loads of mulch and compost. Earthworms are an integral part of the plan. I am not sure that I need these Indo-Chinese native land planariums in the mix right now.

In my researches I also discovered that it is extremely difficult to kill these predators. One source had that they can regenerate from a single cell. That is pretty amazing. The recommended strong spray of orange oil seems such an easy, sweet smelling solution. Melting a creature is a daunting concept, however.

Partnering with Pele in creation of land is not for the fainthearted.

It is Halloween after all: not a time for the squeamish. The garden produces little side shows of horror all of its own. Just to keep the balance.

No comments: