Thick frost iced the valley on my first pre-dawn April morning yesterday.
The light was soft and blue. Mist swirled mystery in places.
Yes, it was very cold but also very beautiful and birdfull - almost tropical in the cacophony. A bunch of startled ptarmagin, a couple of hens and a more showy male, shot noisily out of these reeds as I came near. Too fast in the low, slow light for camera capture. Quails. Blackbirds. Woodpeckers and I have-yet-to-learn-who-else heralded dawning of another new day with a joyful noise.
These pictures were taken a few blocks from Skunk House at the base of the beautiful Quartzite mountain which fills my kitchen window. Walking along Stingy Road has become my richest morning experience and favourite route.I cannot help but wonder, however, every morning, when I turn onto the lovely little piece of dirt road, who called it Stingy and why? Was there perhaps some kind of preventative medicine going on like those baby boys I encountered in Rajasthan who are dressed in girl's clothing and their eyes kohl-rimmed, to confuse the bad spirits into thinking they are girls and thus leave them alone?
Stingy road has thus far been very generous with me in the beauty department. I am a tough customer to please - Suquamish sunrises set the benchmark high.
No comments:
Post a Comment