Sunday, April 11, 2010

Twilight at Waitts lake

Feeling a bit Sunday evening-workweek-looming, I took a sunset drive out to Waitts lake, 15 miles out of town.

After yesterday's experience of hostile water, I found the perfect poet's lady's mirror lake. An expanse of light reflecting glass with fish jumping, geese honking, frogs calling. The sounds of lake at twilight amplified across the water.
Although there are quite a few houses around the lake, the place seemed almost as deserted of human presence as the Suquamish dock was during my dawn contemplations.

Just over a month ago, when I considered renting a cabin on its shores, this 472 acre lake was frozen. Intimidated by the thought of living next to a huge block of ice for 6 months of the year, I voted against lakeside living. Waitts Lake is not a natural lake, but a water reservoir stabilized by a low wall built in 1927. It is fed by two small rivers (creeks) and drains east via an unnamed river to the Colville River.

Today it was inviting indeed: all the ice melted and just a light dusting of snow still on the mountains surrounding. On the other hand, in town, five blue berry bushes wait to be planted at the Skunk House back door. I get to walk all of 253 paces to work every day, whilst saving the petrol for adventures. I think I made the right decision.

Now that the evenings are stretching, this tranquil beauty is near enough for an after work, sunset kayak paddle. I might just be hatching a plan of possibility. Picnic suppers on the lake could be in my future. It has to warm up one day. Say in a month's time.

3 comments:

Dottie Mae said...

How well I know that "Sunday evening-workweek-looming" feeling like a cloud hanging low on the horizon. Noticing the need and finding a place of peace is such a positive way to move forward. Thank you for sharing. As always the photos are magnificent.

Accumulate Man said...

Hey! I remember that kind of commute!

Cam said...

Hey - have missed out on so much news - Hope you are happy at skunk house (?) Lovely cold lake - and beautiful pics! xxx